EDTE 552 – Linguistic Applications in Pre K-12 TESOL Education
In order to meet the instructional needs of the diverse population of ELL students in the United States, teachers must acquire an understanding of linguistic principles and be able to apply them to instruction. They must understand how the process of language learning works to ensure that ELL students have every opportunity to succeed in the classroom. The purpose of this course is to prepare teachers to provide effective, research-based instruction for ELL students. The course emphasis is on understanding English language structure and how it applies to the process of language learning. Coursework prepares educators to implement the Common Core State Standards and meet state and professional standards.
- Case studies of ELL students
- Language analyses of ELL students
- Online assignments
- Second or third course in TESOL Endorsement
Course Materials/ Textbooks
- Essential linguistics: What you need to know to teach reading, SL, Spelling, Phonics, and Grammar. by David Freeman and Yvonne Freeman. Heineman, 2014.
- Pre or co-requisite for EDTE 554
- Second or third course in TESOL Endorsement.